Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Reading Diary A: Devi. Indian Fables and Folklore

For this week's reading, I began reading the stories in the book "Devi. Indian Fables and Folklore", by Shonova Devi.  The layout of this book reminds me of "Twenty Jataka Tales" in that it is a compilation of dozens of short stories put together in the form of a larger story book.  The stories I have read so far remind me of some of the common nursery rhymes I read as a child.  I look this book a lot so far because the stories are short and as soon as I finish reading one short story, it then jumps to a new one.  I like this because I don't get so bored while reading.  I also like this collection of stories more than the Jataka tales because when I read those stories it sometimes feels like I'm reading the same thing over and over again.  It feels like most Jataka tales include a noble leader who is willing to sacrifice himself for the good of his people, and then a more powerful king notices this and is moved by it and everyone lives happy ever after.  These tales have a little more variety so they are more interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment